The Write Launch
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Thank you for your interest in submitting to The Write Launch.
***For the current reading period (January 3 through January 10), please only submit work exploring the theme of Climate Crisis. Read below for more information on what we are looking for in submitted work. Thank you!***
The climate crisis is here to stay. Whether people live in South America or the United States, Europe or China, Africa or India, we will not escape this fact: The climate is changing. Every day, we witness uncontrolled wildfires, more powerful hurricanes, extreme flooding, severe droughts, and rising sea levels.
We must prepare to confront climate change as an existential moment in the 21st century and work as one world for our teens, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
Consider these climate events:
- Heatwaves in Southern Europe, Southern United States, and Mexico
- Worst wildfire in Canada and a record 45 million acres burned
- Rising seas and ocean acidification, retreating sea ice and land ice
- Permafrost thawing, melting glaciers and ice sheets
- Drying soil affecting agriculture in United States and around the world
- Warmest World Record: 2023
The theme of the Write Launch Winter Quarterly is the Climate Crisis, and we are looking for submissions in poetry, fiction, essay, and art that explore your experience of, and response to, this crisis. Such exploration could include a poetic response to climate change or a futuristic story about rising seas that destroy a coastal city. Or consider an essay about a nation state whose population has experienced climate change or a work of art—drawing, painting, or photography—previewing life on Earth in thirty or fifty or eighty years.
We, who are alive today, must grasp the Climate Crisis as an existential moment to face with clarity and resolve, thus preparing humanity for a world that we ourselves would not recognize at the turn of the 21st century.
In the Winter 2024 quarterly issue, we are calling for work exploring the theme of the Climate Crisis: causes, impacts, and consequences.
Submissions for the Winter 2024 quarterly are open in the following categories: poetry, fiction, essay, and art.
- Please do not submit more than one piece per category.
- Submissions must be original work not previously published in any format.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Please withdraw your piece from submission if it is accepted elsewhere.
- Include a brief biographical statement (in the third person) in the Cover Letter section of your submission on Submittable.
- All prose submissions should be double-spaced and proofread.
- Written work selected for publication is edited for punctuation and grammatical errors. Only Word documents are accepted, and any edits and/or suggested revisions prior to publication will be completed using Track Changes and sent to writer via Submittable for pre-publication approval.
- Writers own the copyright on their work.
- AI-generated work will be disqualified.
- The Write Launch has a $5.00 submission fee.
Please send any comments or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.